Homemade mulling spices make a wonderful gift with either a bottle of wine or a jug of apple cider.
Super easy to make, you’ll impress your friends with this warm, spicy homemade gift.
Homemade Mulling Spices
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
- Rinds of 3 oranges
- 8 ounces whole cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 3 tablespoons allspice
- 3 tablespoons candied ginger, diced into small bits
To remove the pith:
- Cut the oranges into quarters, just deep enough to remove the skin from the fruit.
- Peel the skin off the fruit. Turn it pith side up and using a serrated knife (or better yet, a grapefruit spoon) scrape the skin clean. Be careful not to cut through the skin with the knife.
Dry The Orange Rinds:
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cut the cleaned orange rinds into strips.
- Place the strips on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Dry in the oven for up to an hour (make sure to keep an eye on them, so they don’t become too brittle).
Combine all of the ingredients, package and share!
- Sterilize 4 4 ounce jars (see here for instructions).
- Spoon mixture into jars and seal. Use a decorative ribbon to finish the jar.
- Wrap your favorite red wine or apple cider in tulle or colorful fabric, tied with a decorative ribbon
- Warm 4 cups of wine or cider over a medium flame. Add mulling spices and warm again for five minutes, or until you smell the aroma of the oranges, spices and ginger being released from the mixture.
- Strain the mixture, keep warm over low flame and serve.