Gran Fran made me onions and eggs on our most recent visit.
We visited for a little over two weeks, and returned home just before school started. What a good time we had. Tons of good food at every turn, with these onions and eggs as one of my favorite simple meals we were served.
These eggs are great served at room temperature, too. You could easily pack this in a container for a nice hearty lunch. It’s also excellent with some cheese added in at the end of cooking, or better yet, some bacon. The little bit of sugar in the mix just heightens the flavor of the onions.
Make this easy, four ingredient dinner for dinner, serve it alongside a salad and toasted baguette and you’ve got yourself a great meal.
Onions and Eggs
- 2 pounds Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Good dose of kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs, beaten just until blended
- Heat large skillet; add olive oil; heat oil over high heat.
- Add onions; reduce flame to medium; sprinkle with sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Saute about 20 minutes over low heat—or until golden and reduced by at least half.
- On medium heat;stir in eggs; allow to set for three minutes or so.
- Stir and fold eggs until they reach desired consistency; serve.